Bánh Flan Recipe 🍮 | Vietnamese Crème Caramel
Bánh Flan (Vietnamese Crème Caramel)
You will need:
- 4 eggs
- 400ml of sweetened condensed milk
- 400ml of fresh milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Water for steaming
- First, heat a cup of sugar in a pan over medium heat until it melts and turns into a golden caramel. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- In a separate bowl, gently whisk 4 eggs. Add 400ml of sweetened condensed milk, 400ml of fresh milk, and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix until well combined but try not to create too many bubbles.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve or strainer to remove any lumps and create a smooth texture.
- Carefully pour the hot caramelized sugar into your molds, tilting them to spread the caramel evenly on the bottom.
- Slowly pour the milk and egg mixture into the molds over the caramel.
- Steam the molds in a steamer for about 20-30 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Once done, let it cool and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. To serve, run a knife around the edge of the mold and invert onto a plate.
The cooking time may vary depending on the size of your molds. The flan is done when it's firm to the touch but still jiggles slightly.
Indulge in the creamy goodness of Bánh Flan, a Vietnamese crème caramel that will transport your taste buds to a world of sweet delight. This classic dessert is a perfect combination of silky smooth custard and rich caramel sauce, creating a harmonious balance of flavors that will leave you craving for more.
To create this delectable treat, you will need just a few simple ingredients. Gather 4 eggs, 400ml of sweetened condensed milk, 400ml of fresh milk, 1 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and water for steaming. These pantry staples come together to create a dessert that is both comforting and elegant.
The first step in making Bánh Flan is caramelizing the sugar. This process involves heating the sugar until it melts and turns into a golden brown syrup. The caramel adds a depth of flavor and a beautiful amber color to the dessert. Be careful while handling hot caramel, as it can cause burns.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sweetened condensed milk, fresh milk, and vanilla extract. This mixture forms the base of the custard. To ensure a smooth and creamy texture, strain the mixture through a sieve to remove any lumps. This step is crucial in achieving a velvety consistency.
Next, pour the caramelized sugar into individual molds. The amount of caramel will depend on the size of your molds, but aim for a thin layer that covers the bottom. Then, carefully pour the milk and egg mixture into the molds, filling them almost to the top. The custard will rise slightly during steaming, so leave a little room for expansion.
Now it's time to steam the molds. Place them in a steamer or a large pot with a steaming rack. Add water to the pot, making sure it reaches about halfway up the sides of the molds. Cover the pot and steam the Bánh Flan for approximately 20-30 minutes. The cooking time may vary depending on the size of your molds, so keep an eye on them.
Once the custard is set, remove the molds from the steamer and let them cool. This dessert can be enjoyed warm or chilled, depending on your preference. To serve, gently run a knife around the edges of the molds to loosen the custard. Then, invert each mold onto a plate, allowing the caramel sauce to cascade over the custard.
The Bánh Flan is now ready to be savored. Take a spoonful and experience the velvety smoothness of the custard, complemented by the sweet and slightly bitter caramel sauce. The flavors meld together harmoniously, creating a dessert that is both comforting and sophisticated.
Whether you're hosting a dinner party or simply craving a sweet treat, Bánh Flan is a dessert that will impress and satisfy. Its simplicity and elegance make it a versatile choice for any occasion. So, dive into the sweet sea of flavors and indulge in the irresistible charm of this Vietnamese crème caramel.